Sunday, July 24, 2011

Stalking a Thai celebrity




After years of admiring this Thai TV star, the moment for our paths to cross had finally arrived. I flew thousands of miles just to meet her and I was not disappointed. In person, this Thai star is a charmer…even when asleep! Sadly, she stayed asleep during the entire duration of my visit.

Meet the object of my affection, Lin Ping, the bear that put Thailand in the throes of panda-monium.

Born via artificial insemination in the Chiang Mai Zoo to parents, Lin Hui and Chuang Chuang, her birth was celebrated as a milestone in Thailand. Lin Ping has own special air-conditioned section in the zoo (where you pay an extra hundred baht to visit, by the way) and she is definitely treated like a star. Paparazzis, beware. They’ll cover the flash on your camera when you come for a visit.


My first encounter with Lin Ping started in Bangkok years ago while I was channel surfing in a guesthouse in Silom. In my futile attempt to look for an English cable channel, I stumbled on the Panda Channel. Yes, a 24/7 channel dedicated to all things Lin Ping. While I initially found the whole idea preposterous, I eventually became a convert.

My wife wondered why I was laughing so hard in front of the TV. That was when a baby Lin Ping fell off a tree and landed on her behind. Even when my vacation ended, I discovered that the Panda Channel has a live streaming video on the web so I would occasionally check the site to check out what my favorite panda was up to.

Though I didn’t get to see Lin Ping awake in person (or should I say, in panda), I was still in awe of this adorable star. You still have two years to catch Lin Ping at the Chiang Mai Zoo before she is returned to China. Or if you want to check her antics online, visit http://linping.truelife.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment